Owing to the their cheep and simple construction, steel wheels are very popular, and often come as the original equipment on many cars.
Pressed wheels are made of steel, a light constructional material, which is pressed and then welded. They are also primed because steel has poor corrosion resistance. Finally, steel wheels are usually coated with enamel or varnish.
Advantages of Steel Wheels
The main advantages of steel wheels are:
- They have a lower price than alloy wheels
- Flexibility, especially when running into a hole in the road, or when running over objects lying on the road
- They absorb shocks and protect the car's body from deformations, which is very important for driving safety
- They are easy and cheap to straighten if they get bent
Disadvantages of Steel Wheels
The main disadvantage of steel wheels is their weight. Thus, acceleration is slower and braking is worse. Heavy wheel behaves like a flywheel which is difficult to put in motion and stop. Other disadvantages are:
- poor corrosion resistance
- little variety in designs
- high tolerance to variations of geometrical features in manufacturing
Nonetheless, the cheep pressed wheels are very popular, especially in winter season when the car's dynamic performance is not so important.
However, a real petrolhead will always choose alloy wheels, both because of their better looks and performance.
Find out which wheel/rim sizes are appropriate for your tyres with our Wheel/Rim Size Calculator.
The Wheel Offset/Backspace Calculator will help you to find out the wheel offset and the wheel backspace, the important measures to consider when buying the new wheels.
Tyre size for rim size calculator tells you what tyre sizes are adequate for your wheel.
- Alloy Wheels
- Wheel Markings meaning
- Find out which wheel/rim sizes are appropriate for your tyres with our Wheel/Rim Size Calculator.
- The Wheel Offset/Backspace Calculator can help you to calculate the wheel offset and the wheel backspace, the important measurements to consider when buying new wheels.
- Tyre size for rim/wheel size calculator tells you what tyre sizes fit the size of your wheel.